Katherine's Vision

I am honored to be a candidate for re-election for District I Director and share my vision for addressing the issues facing the American Chemical Society.

Clearly communicate the value of the ACS.  Perhaps you joined the ACS as I did, as a graduate student, and promptly benefited from receiving discounts for journal subscriptions and books, reading C&E News each week, and attending ACS National Meetings. As the parent of a college sophomore, I am keenly aware of the challenges of capturing the attention of the next generation of scientists. Why should one maintain membership in the ACS, our technical divisions and local sections? As an active member of my local section, a past-chair of the ACS Division of Organic Chemistry, and the current District I Director, I believe that the solution is generally not to do more, but to better communicate, through our web presence and various forms of outreach, including social media, the exclusive benefits of ACS membership. Let’s seize the opportunity to personalize ACS communications with members, to better align information being shared with members’ interests, using members’ preferred platforms for absorbing information.

Advance diversity, equity, inclusion, and respect. We bear a responsibility to recast our intentions and actions with respect to DEI&R. I have been a longtime advocate of diversity and inclusion, and was inspired by the leadership of Dr. Mary Boyd, when she and I served as the Chair and Chair-Elect, respectively, of the ACS DOC, to speak up about considering diversity when we made decisions as an executive committee. I find myself doing the same as member of the Board, and was honored to serve in 2020 on a Board Working Group focused on developing an ACS strategy for Diversity Equity Inclusion and Respect.

Support ACS members in all stages of our careers.  After working as a medicinal chemist at Pfizer for many years, in 2019 I became the Head of Scientific Planning and Operations for Pfizer’s Inflammation and Immunology Research Unit. My experience as an ACS member and volunteer was instrumental in preparing me for this leadership role. I believe that the ACS should be the go-to resource for chemists at all stages of our education, career, and retirement. Are we thinking broadly enough about careers opportunities? Can we raise ACS members’ awareness of what career resources are available, and the value of serving as a volunteer for the ACS? Please see my Comment in the May 9, 2020 issue of C&EN https://cen.acs.org/acs-news/comment/ACS-help-chemists-grow-careers/98/i18?ref=search_results on “How ACS can help chemists grow in their careers”, in which I dispelled some potential misconceptions, while highlighting diverse ACS career resources, many of which are exclusively for ACS members.

Advance excellence in chemistry. ACS journals and SciFinder are highly respected sources of scientific knowledge; as District I Director, I have enjoyed strategic discussions with leaders of ACS Publications and CAS. As a scientist, I have gained valuable experience from presenting at ACS National Meetings and publishing papers in ACS journals. As a dedicated volunteer, I have enjoyed helping to shape organized symposia for DOC technical sessions at ACS National Meetings. Perhaps you have attended an ACS virtual event, be it an ACS Webinar or an ACS National Meeting. How well have we responded to the impacts of COVID-19 on our membership, communication of information, and business? What should the global impact of the ACS be? Can we creatively educate people about the beauty and relevance of chemistry, and help the general public embrace science?

Apply the resources of the ACS wisely. Serving on the ACS Board of Directors brings about fiscal responsibilities in implementing the mission and vision of the ACS. As the 2014 Chair-Elect and 2015 Chair of the Northeastern Section, I gained firsthand experience in influencing decisions, many of which were not easy to make, for our over $300K annual operating budget. Likewise, I recognize that time and energy are resources that we should commit intentionally: our ACS volunteers and staff must be confident that what we all are working on is clearly defined, not redundant, free from unnecessary process and relevant to our mission.

In closing, thank you for your consideration for my re-election for District I Director. I would appreciate your vote!